Here is the nude …

One thing I don’t actually find as universally appealing as we’re told is the “nude lip” look that’s so popular these days.  I’ve noticed in my trawls around a lot of magazines, books and blogs that a lot of women appear to be scared of colour on their lips, and I’m wondering why that is?  Get your lip colour right, I always think and you don’t actually need other makeup!

Don’t get me wrong, when the concealer-lip look is done well, as above, I think it’s superbly flattering, but get the colour slightly wrong and you can look like a zombie.  Or worse:

It’s one of those looks that I, personally, think is easier to get wrong than it is to get right.  What do you think?

1. January 16, 2010 / 11:47 am

You're completely right but damn Angelina makes it look HOT!

I think the trick is to find the right shade of nude – I can't pull of milky pink nudes but love brownish nudes. The new MAC Close for Comfort TLC is HG for me now ๐Ÿ™‚

x

2. January 16, 2010 / 12:11 pm

Makes me look like I'm dead, see also lovely Claudia Winkleman.

3. January 16, 2010 / 12:12 pm

I agree. As much as I love nudes, it is tricky to get it right. As I'm olive toned, a more brownish nude suits me or something with a bit of pink in it. The most perfect nude I've found for my skin tone is MAC's Freckletone & Collection 2000 in Nude.

4. January 16, 2010 / 12:32 pm

I can't really work the nude lip that well as my lips are so pigmented, but I can be really clumsy so if I wear anything too bright I smear it everywhere, might have to start powdering my lippie..?

5. January 16, 2010 / 12:40 pm

I'm definitely a culprit of being scared to use lip colour! I always say it's because my lips are a boring shape so there's no point drawing attention to them. I can never find a lipstick colour I feel comfortable in… I think I need someone to tell me what colours to try… although I suspect I will always stick to the naked lip look…

6. January 16, 2010 / 1:22 pm

Great post! I agree it is a look that can easily go wrong. I have found a few nudes that work for me but others (MAC Myth, MAC Honeylove) make me look like the living dead.

7. January 16, 2010 / 2:51 pm

I never could do it. The lightest I can go is a soft pink. Although, Clinique's Guava Stain is a really nice nudish color with a touch of, coral? that worked great on Me.

8. January 16, 2010 / 3:18 pm

When I used to work for a make up company, we have young chavvy girls come in and put concealer all over their lips because they thought it was lipstick. Used to pain me so much, haha.

xoxo

9. January 16, 2010 / 3:26 pm

It's so true, I'm actually currently writing a post about how I've tried to like nudes but have found brighter colours just look so much better! x

10. Seona
    January 16, 2010 / 4:40 pm

I love nudes. I have such small, thin lips that colours make me feel too made up a lot of the time. A nude that's my natural lip colour, but a bit better, is just what I need. I like MAC Hug Me and my Ellis Faas.

11. January 16, 2010 / 6:13 pm

i so agree with you..if i do wea any nude lipstick i prefer to have ones that have a pink undertone to it, so as not to look dead! lol

12. Anonymous
    January 16, 2010 / 7:01 pm

The nude Angelina wears is Discretion by Laura Mercier. The counter manager at Bergdorfs says last time she bought 5. It looks prett much the same on me as it does on her since we are similar skintone. I am however of the belief that nude colors on lips are not natural and dont usually look natural, unless they have adequate pink to them as well.

13. January 16, 2010 / 11:26 pm

Nudes make me look dead. I have yet to find "the one". That is all.

14. Anonymous
    January 17, 2010 / 4:27 am

Unless they're brownish, mid-toned beiges, nude doesn't do anything for me. But are mid-toned beiges really nude? I quite love my own lip color, which I think photographs well. When I'm walking around, I can't tell when someone is wearing a nude lipstick unless there's some kind of shimmer to it.

15. January 17, 2010 / 6:52 pm

I don't think I have a nude lipstick. All mine are either pinkish or brownish or reddish – I love colour on the lips, the richer the better I say!

16. January 17, 2010 / 7:16 pm

I absolutely miss the Pinks from the 80's!

17. January 18, 2010 / 11:19 pm

i actually find it tricky to pull off a nude lip. i'd love to be one of those j-lo style girls that looks gorgeous in all those creamy beige shades. alas, no. but i also find it beyond frustrating when my friends are still afraid of using colour on their lips? i've been working on one friend for 7 years but still insists on going no brighter than a sheer pink! argh!!!!!!!!! x

18. January 22, 2010 / 10:55 pm

I love the nude look but that's probably because my lips are so pigmented. That said, I do agree that it can look really awful without the right shade.

19. Um, I think that I'm SUPER distracted by that picture of Angelina! Dang! lol

But seriously, I'm one of the ones that is scared of lip color. It's so awesome and fun…..but I have big lips. lol I get scared that I'll look too stupid. Plus, my eyeshadows are usually so crazy I don't need anything on my lips.

20. January 23, 2010 / 7:33 am

i love the nude lips.Blame it on the smokey eye make-ups.hehe

but u r right.sometimes it get bit tricky to get the nude lips right.

21. January 23, 2010 / 3:19 pm

I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of the nude looks myself. It's also tricky to find a good nude…

22. January 23, 2010 / 7:04 pm

Oh, I really love nudes, and I have tried a lot to find my perfect one. Some definitely make me look dead though. Right now I think Hue is working for me by MAC. The other thing to remember is that your nude will change between winter and summer because of your skin tone changing.

23. January 23, 2010 / 11:48 pm

I find a lot of "nudes" tend to go orange on me. If there is even the tiniest hint of orange in that color my lips will bring it right out. I definitely need nudes with a pink base! I do like the look though if done right. Concealer nude looks dead, Angelina nude looks gorgeous.

24. January 25, 2010 / 1:19 am

I tried the nude lip and I looked seriously ill. You have to have the perfect shade to pull it off. And well for Angelina any color would work on her. Shes gorgeous!