Project Perfume

Accountants need projects like fish need bicycles water.  This year, I’ve decided to set myself one, I have around fifty different projects going on at work so, what’s another one for home?

Over Christmas, I downloaded Perfumes: The A-Z Guide by Luca Turin onto my Kindle App (Santa ignored my repeated requests for a Kindle this year, I hate him), and spent a glorious day and a half reading about practically every perfume under the sun.  I also spent a lot of time bookmarking those perfumes I was really interested in having a sniff of.  It’s completely and utterly engrossing, and I learned a great deal reading it.

2010 was the year I really re-discovered perfume. After several years of avoiding buying it altogether, being disgusted with the proliferation of syrupy-sweet stinks that all smelled the same, I stuck to a few old favourites (Acqua di Parma, Jicky and Aromatics Elixir, in the main), and thought that there was nothing on the market to interest little old me.  I was wrong.

So, having spent last year discovering that there was perfume I like available, I’m going to spend some time this year, sniffing my way through the classics (and some not-so-classics – just because I love them) and see if I can educate my nose a bit more.  I spent some time before Christmas with some amazing perfumers, and I’ll be talking about those soon.

It turns out that when I’d been bookmarking the scents I was interested in, I’d picked out around 100 or so that I was really, really super interested in, so, being an accountant, I’ve created a spreadsheet (I even added a pivot table, deep joy!) and I’ll be tallying everything I’ve sniffed as the year goes on. I can manage two sniffs of new perfume a week, I’m sure.  I’ll even review them here … a bit.  Occasionally.  If, over the next 12 months, you see an anorak  accountant with a spangly pen frantically writing notes on random bits of paper in a perfume hall near you, then you’ll have spotted Get Lippie out in the wild … I’ll publish the list in full at a later date.

So, if money were no object what perfume would you buy for yourself?

1. January 5, 2011 / 7:05 am

I know so little sbout perfume, so I'm really interested to see these posts. I got Stella by Stella McCartney for Christmas and I love that but I have no idea what I'd get if money were no object- I wouldn't know where to start!

2. January 5, 2011 / 8:01 am

I would literally sell my soul (who needs it?) for a bottle of Le Labo Cuir 28- Dubai exclusive. Chances are slim that I'll get one.

3. January 5, 2011 / 8:02 am

I really love perfumes and if I could have any I'd probably have them all espeially channel 5.
    I have done a post featuring my collection I would love to get my hands on that book a I'm an addict lol x

4. January 5, 2011 / 8:11 am

I really like the guide by Turin+Sanchez, went through it so quickly. But it's a dangerous thing – makes you want to try about a hundred perfumes – but I guess now you already know that. If money were no object I'd buy Amouage Epic and Lyric, Guerlain Shalimar Ode a Vanille, Parfums MDCI Enlevement au Serail and loads of samples.
    Am looking forward to seeing your list of the chosen scents.
    Klara

5. January 5, 2011 / 9:49 am

I received Balenciaga Paris for Christmas and it is beautiful. I love Aromatics Elixir and Acqua di Parma too, so maybe check it out.

I also recommend Acqua di Gioia for summer.

If money were no object, I'd take a bath of Chanel No5 every morning. Just because. 🙂

6. January 5, 2011 / 2:44 pm

I've been wanting to learn more about perfume for a long time, thank you for bringing this book to my attention.
    I too am fed up of the samey, chemical/synthetic fragrances on offer, but sadly a lot of the perfumes I lust after are a little out of my price range.
    If money were no object I would go crazy for a few hours in Les Senteurs. I'd love to try/buy Lady Caron, Caron Narcisse Noir, Frederic Malle's Carnal Flower and Une Rose Vermeille by Tauer.
    xx

7. January 5, 2011 / 2:49 pm

A spreahsheet?! Hee hee!

If money were no object I'd be buying the one you introduced me to at Liberty or Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille.
    Jx

8. Sinead
    January 5, 2011 / 3:22 pm

The entire Jo Malone collection – love it!

9. January 5, 2011 / 5:07 pm

I looove perfume! I have two of the Viktor & Rolf ones, flowerbomb and eau mega which are both great. I also have Chanel Chance aaaand the Chloe one (i seem to be the only person who likes this) but they're all amazing!
    I'm studying cosmetic science and there is a section on Perfumery which i'm quite excited about!

10. January 5, 2011 / 6:50 pm

Perfume posts from Get Lippie? Something to look forward to!

If money were no object, I'd buy a large bottle of Amouage's Tribute. It completely blew me away when I first tried it.

And as for the Sanchez & Turin book, I think it's wonderful, but I will say this: Be prepared – and brave enough – to disagree with them.

11. January 5, 2011 / 9:55 pm

I was that person with the crumpled bit of paper last year! I bought the book – great doorstop that it is and was hugely entertained by it but suprisingly not aided by it, the descriptions were great but not especially informative I found. However it did reawaken a love of perfume and for that I am forever grateful. Thanks for this and Happy New Year. Jan x

12. January 7, 2011 / 10:37 am

I have absolutely no idea about perfumes but I'm proper laughing out loud at your use of pivot tables! I thought I was the only person that did things like that 🙂

Kelly x